Aw, isn’t that nice, our government doesn’t want to be unfair! Of course, that doesn’t apply to any of the many men treated unfairly on the basis of false allegations especially in the Family Court, or the many men whose hard-earned assets are plundered courtesy of our ‘relationship property’ law, or the many men having their financial lives and ability to parent their own children ruined through having to pay so-called ‘child support’ to fund the lifestyles of women who trashed them and their family units, or the many men dragged through a Court process that squeezes every possible dollar from them on the basis of distorted memories comprising historical allegations allowed to proceed because the statute of limitations was changed specifically to stomp on men, or the many men who commit suicide while our government bodies paid to address suicide steadfastly refuse to address male suicide, or the many men slandered as a group by feminist propaganda. No, our virtue-signalling politicians will continue to turn a blind eye to unfairness towards men. Amend that, they will be looking for ever more inventive ways to be unfair towards men.
NZDF will not seek costs for sexual assault victim after Ardern’s speech
Grace Cocker, Dan Satherley, Vita Molyneux 24/11/18
The New Zealand Defence Force will not pursue costs in a sexual assault case.
Newshub recieved confirmation from a spokesperson from NZDF that they will “not be seeking costs in this high court case”.
However, Mariya Taylor’s abuser, convicted child rapist Robert Roper is still pursuing costs.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern had told the Defence Force to back off a sexual assault victim it’s pursuing for costs.
The NZDF was under fire for chasing legal costs from Ms Taylor, after her compensation bid against them failed.
As a 19-year-old Air Force recruit, Ms Taylor suffered assault and abuse at the hands of former Air Force (RNZAF) sergeant Robert Roper in the 1980s, including being locked in a tyre cage, prodded with an iron bar, and rubbed against and groped during car rides.
The Auckland High Court ruled earlier in the year that while she had been abused by child rapist Roper, it was too late to make a claim, as the statute of limitations has run out.
The Prime Minister told media on Friday that regardless of whether or not costs are awarded, her expectation is they won’t be sought.
“This case is devastating. It makes for devastating reading. It wouldn’t be right to pursue those costs, so they won’t be,” Ms Ardern said.
“My expectation is they won’t be pursued. Mariya has been through enough.”
Instead, Ms Ardern wants the Defence Force to sit down and find a resolution outside court.
When asked what her reaction would be if NZDF doesn’t withdraw its case, she replied “it’s not up for discussion”.
Little wants to “eyeball” NZDF officials
Her statement echoes Justice Minister Andrew Little, who voiced his disappointment on Friday morning.
Mr Little said that he wanted to “eyeball” senior officials in the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) and tell them to lay off seeking costs from a sexual assault victim.
“Mariya sued the Defence department, she didn’t succeed, and the lawyers all kick in and say, ‘Right, you lost, therefore under the High Court rules we’re allowed to seek costs,'” Mr Little, presently Acting Defence Minister, told RadioLIVE on Friday.
“Sometimes you do just have to step back and say, even though on the Crown’s side, the Government’s side, we won, what is the just and fair thing to do here?
“Actually we are in the power position here, she is powerless against us. It doesn’t look right for the Crown, very powerful Defence Force, to be pursuing this woman, who the judge said had some legitimate claims and factual findings in her favour, to be hounded for costs. So I think there is a legitimate argument to say we’ve got to deal with this.”
Mr Little says he is getting advice on whether he can actually step in and stop the NZDF from seeking its share of the costs.
“As a minister sometimes you do have to eyeball your senior officials and say, ‘You know what? We’re just not gonna do this.’ Or alternatively, ‘We are going to do this – even though you don’t like it. That is the role of being a minister, and we all have to do that from time to time.”
But the law might stand in his way.
“It’s the Attorney-General that instructs Crown Law and Crown lawyers, who have to I think give any sort of instruction. But in the end, this is the big, messy world of Government and I don’t think we should be hiding behind the technicalities of it here. There is clearly something unfair and unjust about this. We’ve just got to get on and deal with it, and I’m taking advice on how to do that.”
He’s not sure what steps Defence Minister Ron Mark has taken already, if any, nor how much he knows about the case.
“Ron is an impeccably fair man, and he would be uncomfortable with this and he would want a just and fair result.”
Mr Little says Ms Taylor’s appeal of the ruling complicates the situation, but only slightly.
“She’s been through enough. She’s had a go, it didn’t work out for her – the Government is bigger than that, and we should be acting accordingly.”