New Male Studies: An International Journal
This brand new publication by a group of Australian, Canadian, European and American scholars contains research essays, opinion pieces, and book reviews on all aspects of the male experience.
The Editorial Advisory Board has quite a few names I recognise and respect, including John Archer, Donald Dutton, Warren Farrell, Lionel Tiger and Kathy Young.
I was slightly disapointed to see that the only expert on males from New Zealand is Celia Lashlie BA, Independent Researcher.
All the areas they plan to focus on will be of direct interest to MENZ readers:
- the experience and outcomes of education for boys and young men,
- challenges and difficulties of developmental transition for males – especially adolescents,
- significant disparities in health outcomes for men compared with women,
- the vital role of fathering,
- the inordinate number of males in the penal system,
- the characterisations of men and boys cultivated within popular culture, academe, and many social institutions, and
- how men experience and are affected by the kinds of occupational, familial, and social roles that are culturally required of them.
The first issue of New Male Studies should provide plenty of worthwhile holiday reading.
Via Peter Zohrab.