- promoting a clearer understanding of men's experience -


MENZ.org.nz Logo First visit to MENZ.org.nz? Here's our introduction page.
MENZ ISSUES

MENZ Issues: news and discussion about New Zealand men, fathers, family law, divorce, courts, protests, gender politics, and male health.

Sat 4th May 2013

More Dishonest Spin from Women’s Refuge

Filed under: General — Ministry of Men's Affairs @ 9:35 am

FYI, our letter to journalist Simon Collins regarding this recent article about Women’s Refuge complaining because they are not getting their way completely.

Really Simon, I expected you to rise above such spin rather than spread it. Women’s Refuge are not being “kept in the dark” about proposed changes to family law. Judith Collins has already announced the back-pedalling concessions she is prepared to make, and that she does not wish to abandon other changes including removal of the Bristol clauses. Reframing “we are angry because we’re not getting our way” to “we are being kept in the dark” is typical of the dishonesty we have come to expect from Women’s Refuge, and it’s sad that you have allowed yourself to collude with it.

It’s very difficult for me to understand why journalists and especially you would choose to avoid giving fair representation to the facts and arguments from the men’s and fathers’ side. Significant events and issues raised in our media releases are routinely ignored by most news media. Your recent longer article gave cursory attention to our arguments (for which crumbs we are however grateful) and now you provide further voice for fake claims by Women’s Refuge and their demand that they receive special treatment from the legislators. No mention that other groups such as men’s and fathers’ groups have also been given no special audience by the Minister (except perhaps lawyers who always seem to hold a lot of sway in government circles), or even that not one dollar of support is provided by government for men’s refuges at all.

5 Responses to “More Dishonest Spin from Women’s Refuge”

  1. John Brett says:

    The link above doesn’t work. Can you check it out please.

  2. Skeptic says:

    Thanks MOMA (unfortunate acronym)

    Here’s the link for those who want it – http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10880555

    I agree with you Simon Collin’s topic sentence myopic chivalric hit piece isn’t objective let alone factual. He’s being played for a patsy. The latest in a tradition of gullible guys who kid themselves they’re intellectuals starstruck by feminist BS.

  3. Ministry of Men's Affairs says:

    Thanks Skeptic, and the original link seems to be working now too.

  4. MurrayBacon says:

    As Hans has remarked above, refusal to fund any kind of support for abused men, is a phenomenon all around the world:
    Earl Silverman lived for nothing, died for something

    Earl Silverman committed suicide Friday in Calgary

    Christopher Walsh | April 28, 2013

    http://beaconnews.ca/calgary/2013/04/earl-silverman-lived-for-nothing-died-for-something/

    Earl Silverman, the tireless crusader for the rights of abused men, died Friday of apparent suicide.

    Silverman, who himself was a victim of female perpetrated-domestic abuse, founded the only men’s shelter in Canada. The Men’s Alternative Safe House was forced to close last month after running out of money and was never recognized by any government agency.

    Earl Silverman had operated MASH out-of-pocket and was forced to sell the house in March, after continually being ignored for funding by the Alberta government.

    Thomas Matty, a friend of Silverman’s who was staying with him at the time of his death, said he never saw it coming. But Matty said there were tough days for Earl, who fought without rest for abused men and never really saw a lot of results in getting the issue recognized and the much-needed services made available.

    ‘Earl presented a gruff exterior, but deep down he was a sensitive man who cared deeply for others,’ Matty said.

    ‘You put so much into somethin g with so little return, it just drives the hope out of you. You give enormous effort and get virtually nothing. That’s certainly something that played a significant role in his decision.’

    Earl Silverman began his fight for male rights 20 years ago, after he was forced to flee an abusive relationship. He found services for male victims were inadequate and decided to do something about it. For a number of years he operated a men’s helpline and offered his Calgary home to any male victim who needed a safe place to stay.

    ‘Sometimes part of the healing process is being a healer,’ Silverman told Beacon News in 2011. ‘I don’t know, I’m just crazy,’ he said of why he continued to fight for services for abused men without making much progress. ‘But I have seen a need.’

    Silverman dedicated his life to fighting for men’s rights. He felt government programs had ignored male victims of domestic violence and worked tirelessly to change the system and bring attention to the problem. In the end, the fight became too much.

    ‘Earl so was so tired of the words. He doesn’t want words, he wanted actions and something tangible done. He fought this battle for 20 years,’ Matty s aid. ‘He was frustrated because nobody seemed to care or do anything about it.’

    Matty remembers talking to Silverman the night before he killed himself and said everything seemed fine with him. Silverman had finished the sale of his house, had just bought a cellphone and was preparing for a trip to see friends for a month. Matty was departing for Edmonton.

    ‘I said, ‘how do you want to say goodbye, Earl,” Matty said of the last night he saw Silverman. ‘And in his typical gruff exterior, he said, ‘oh just say goodbye’. And I said, ‘okay, keep in touch’ and I shook his hand and said it had been nice staying with him and I went to bed.’

    Earl Silverman was discovered the next morning. Matty said he and others will continue the fight for Earl and men everywhere.

    ‘There was nowhere I could go to talk about [the abuse],’ Silverman said in 2011. ‘There’s an effort to ensure that the voice of male victims of domestic violence is not heard. They don’t want to admit that there’s a problem.’

    Funeral and memorial information is not available at this time.

  5. Gwahir says:

    This has long been the way, ignore facts and scream louder! In April alone a female commited a $600,000 fraudulent theft on her employer, Jailed for dealing in P. (Her occupation was listed as a dominatrix? Refuge employee?) and another manslaughter of her son, xxxx (Named in the charge), by administering the Class B drug methadone. Huh!

Leave a Reply

Please note that comments which do not conform with the rules of this site are likely to be removed. They should be on-topic for the page they are on. Discussions about moderation are specifically forbidden. All spam will be deleted within a few hours and blacklisted on the stopforumspam database.

Since May 2016 this site is cached. Comments will not appear immediately unless you are logged in. Please do not make multiple attempts.

« »

Powered by WordPress

Skip to toolbar