15 year old Hamilton false rape claim
The alleged abduction and sexual assault of a Hamilton schoolgirl was a false complaint, police say.
The 15-year-old girl told police she had been forced into a car and raped while walking home from school on Durham St, Nawton on February 27.
Detective sergeant Robbie Hermann of the Waikato CIB said investigators re-interviewed the girl this afternoon.
“As a result of enquiries made into the allegations a number of inconsistencies in the girl’s account were identified and when confronted with these the girl admitted to police that she had made up the story and that she had not been raped as she had earlier reported.”
He said the admission was frustrating as it wasted police resources that could be better utilised helping the victims of genuine incidents.
“Many hours work that could have been spent on investigating genuine cases of child abuse have effectively been lost,” he said.
“In addition to that partner agencies and the girl’s school had worked to ensure her needs were being taken care of.”
Hermann said publicly highlighting the incident had inflamed public apprehension and fear.