A new paradigm for dealing with Men’s issues
There has been a lot of debate recently on MENZ regarding the approach to solving the issues fathers/men face. A lot of it extremely negative and divisive.
Most contributors use what is caused a deficit research approach characterised by :
- Identification of problems
- Analysis of causes
- Analysis of possible solutions
- Plan of action (How will we “treat” this
- Issues are seen as problems to be solved.
The issues with this paradigm are best summed up by a quote from Einstein
“We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
Or put another way:
- Focus is on yesterday (past)
- Responses are fragmented
- Positive images of the future are rare
- Resources (people) are exhausted before the problem is solved
- Teamwork tends to be weakened and inter-group relationships poor (Blame Culture)
- Leads to a negative identity and culture — e.g woman are the enemy and the cause of all evil
- Effecting change is very slow
Men’s issues become problems to be solved.
What could we do differently — how can we change the paradigm and effect real change for Fathers and men?
Its summed by a quote from Robert Kennedy
Some men see things as they are and ask why I dream things that never were and ask why not!
It’s a different paradigm called Appreciative Inquiry (AI)
- Appreciating the best of what is.
- Focusing on the solution (what might be)
- Dialoguing on what the solution should be
- Innovating the solution (what will be)
Men’s issues become opportunities to be embraced
AI innovates real change not pointless arguing by:
- Remaining positively focused on the solution
- Is highly participative (all knowledge is valued)
- Focuses on the whole system
- Builds strong teams
- Simulates vision and creativity
- Transforms the dialogue to focusing on the solution (not personalities)
- Creates cooperation and synergy
From a change management perspectiveÂ Positive solutions focus leads to positive action.
Our culture is a collection of the stories we tell about ourselves : Cultures on the rise are characterized by :
- A belief that people can positively influence their future
- Freedom to come together as a web community (Not individuals posting on the web lost in their own story)
- Encourages the creative, artistic and spiritual qualities (Utilising each others strengths)
Â So its a challenge to you guys to change your thinking and look to a new paradigm for MENZ .To move beyond blame to solutions focused action and be real change agents.
All the greatest and most important problems of life are fundamentally insoluble…They can never be solved, but only outgrown. This “outgrowing” proves on further investigation to require a new level of consciousness. Some higher or wider interest appeared on the horizon and through this broadening of outlook the insoluble problem lost its urgency. It was not solved logically on its own terms but faded when confronted with a new and stronger life urge. Carl Jung.